Tuesday, September 16, 2008

#26 Storm Lily

I KNOW WHAT THIS IS!!!!



It hasn't fully unfolded yet, and I wouldn't know what it is, except that I discovered one (from the same bulb, probably) in full bloom in my yard a few years ago and people on the internet told me what it was. "Surprise Lily" or "Storm Lily."

The last time was also September, in 2005:




I'll bring a photo of the new one when it's opened up.

I bought a dozen bulbs of that and put them in the back, but none has come up yet. Judging by this one, having come up twice in ten years, I'm not expecting them every year.



It took until Friday afternoon for it to open, and I wish I hadn't missed the half-way point. Holly took these photos and that's her hand, for scale. This one was shorter than the one in 2005, and it didn't open as quickly.

3 comments:

Sally said...

Hey, thanks for the info on this beauty! I had a bunch of them come up in a sort of semicircle in the lawn in front of the chimney and then a couple by the mailbox. I had no idea what they were, and we've lived in our house since 2006 and I'd never seen them before.

I picked the ones by the fireplace and put them in my kitchen window, and my husband came home and acted all jealous, thinking somebody (El Sancho, he calls my mysterious nonexistant lover) had brought me flowers! He hadn't seen them in the lawn because he leaves for work before sunrise. I walked him out and showed him the stalks in the grass. He laughed and apologized and we marvelled a bit at how quickly they came up.

Honey Youngblood said...

In Florida, we call these Hurricane Lilies. They're mysterious--you can live somewhere for five years, and then the sixth year, a whole patch of them comes up in the most unexpected place, nowhere you could ever imagine anyone planting them. This year, I had one spring out of a pot of irises that had been a pot of irises since 2004, never a lily among them. Cheery and plucky. I like these gals.

Sandra Dodd said...

I had one more come up this year (2010) near the back gate.