Monday, August 11, 2008

#12 Potatoes



These grew in a flowerpot in my back yard. How's that? They're not native and local, but they're for real potatoes!

On the Radical Unschoolers Network I blogged about these the day I dug them up, which was August 2, 2008.





A couple of years ago, a potato bloomed in the compost pile:



The flowers were so beautiful I've grown others. So I don't mind if potatoes are growing eyes in my kitchen. That could mean flowers (or baby potatoes). Here are my remaining plants:



I planted sprouting potatoes in a half-filled pot so I have room to add more dirt as the season goes on. Whatever grows grows. I'm not farming potatoes, I'm just messing around.

1 comment:

Christina said...

I had no idea potato flowers were that beautiful! My parents tried to grow potatoes in our garden one year, but something happened (critters, insects, plant disease? I was nine--I don't remember) and I never got to see them bloom. Now I know what to do with all those potatoes in the bottom of the pantry that get forgotten. : )