Sunday, August 10, 2008

I didn't write the rules, I'm just reporting them

These are the bare minimum rules (what was in bold). There were also comments (follow the link below). So if you start this challenge, link those rules and that site below, as I'm not the originator, just one of a growing number of challengees.

The 100-Species Challenge

1. Participants should include a copy of these rules and a link to this entry in their initial blog post about the challenge.

2. Participants should keep a list of all plant species they can name, either by common or scientific name, that are living within walking distance of the participant's home. The list should be numbered, and should appear in every blog entry about the challenge, or in a sidebar.

3. Participants are encouraged to give detailed information about the plants they can name in the first post in which that plant appears.

4. Participants are encouraged to make it possible for visitors to their blog to find easily all 100-Species-Challenge blog posts.

5. Participants may post pictures of plants they are unable to identify, or are unable to identify with precision. They should not include these plants in the numbered list until they are able to identify it with relative precision. Each participant shall determine the level of precision that is acceptable to her; however, being able to distinguish between plants that have different common names should be a bare minimum.

6. Different varieties of the same species shall not count as different entries (e.g., Celebrity Tomato and Roma Tomato should not be separate entries); however, different species which share a common name be separate if the participant is able to distinguish between them (e.g., camillia japonica and camillia sassanqua if the participant can distinguish the two--"camillia" if not).

7. Participants may take as long as they like to complete the challenge.


Now my comments:
I'm not sure there ARE 100 species (not natural locals) within easy walking distance of my house. So I'll have to include imports and exotics and I might have to visit the plant store or the florists' (both within easy walking distance).

I believe in teamwork, so when I don't know something, I hope others will help me identify it and then I will study at night and memorize, and then I can count it. Or I could come and look on the blog when I forget.

This may take me a year or I may never finish, and it will be like... like an unfinished thing. Like St Francis Cathedral, in Santa Fe. Like the Tower of Babel. Like... many of my other projects!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sandra, it's great to see you've joined the project! I think I'm as excited about learning about the flora of other regions as I am about our own.